Last Updated: January 17, 2023
COLLECTION OF INFORMATION
Information You Provide to Us
We collect information you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information directly from you when you create an account, modify your profile or account, purchase a Mill Membership, send us the matter you placed in your Mill kitchen bin (“Food Grounds”), respond to Food Grounds quality reports we sent you, request maintenance or a swap of a bin, order equipment (such as charcoal filters and Food Grounds boxes), elect to receive our newsletter, complete surveys, participate in promotions, request customer support, or otherwise communicate with us. The types of information that we collect include your name, email address, phone number, shipping and billing address, device location, payment method information, and any other information you choose to provide.
Information We Collect From Other Sources
We also collect information from other sources. For example, municipal or corporate partners may provide your name or email in connection with subsidized membership offerings. Municipal partners may also provide information about household size or the size of your trash bin.
Information We Collect Automatically
We automatically collect certain information about your interactions with us or our Services, including:
- Mill Kitchen Bin Information: We collect information about any bin in your possession, including the device model and serial number, the IP address from which the data is originating, sensor data (like temperature and weight of contents), and the device state and usage data, including when you open, close, or lock the lid and when the device is performing certain activities, such as grinding or resetting.
- Transactional Information: We collect information about the transactions you complete with us, such as Mill Membership subscription prices, deposits, fees, returns, and the date and location of the transaction.
- Food Grounds Supply Program Information: If you choose to participate in the Food Grounds Supply Program, we may collect information about your Food Grounds and Food Grounds shipments, such as when and how frequently you schedule shipments, where the shipment is picked up, the quality and attributes of your Food Grounds, and the presence of any foreign materials therein.
- Website and App Information: We collect information about any usage of Services when you use the Mill Website and Mill App, including your IP address, unique device identifiers, device model and operating system version, mobile network, and web browser type. We also collect information about your activities, such as access times, pages viewed, links clicked, screens visited, and the page you visited before navigating to the Mill Website.
- Information Collected by Cookies and Similar Tracking Technologies: We use tracking technologies, such as cookies and web beacons, to collect information about your interactions with our Services. Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive or in device memory that help us improve our Services and your experience, see which areas and features of our Services are popular, and count visits. Web beacons (also known as “pixel tags” or “clear GIFs”) are electronic images that we use on our Services and in our emails to help deliver cookies, count visits, and understand usage and campaign effectiveness. For more information about cookies and how to disable them, see the Your Choices section below.
Information We Derive
We derive information or draw inferences about you based on the information we collect. For example, we may make inferences about your approximate location based on your IP address.
USE OF INFORMATION
We use the information we collect to:
- Provide, maintain, and improve our Services, including to debug and repair errors, collect payments, facilitate the delivery and return of bins, make account and membership updates, refurbish and maintain Mill kitchen bins, provide customer support, operate and administer the Food Grounds Supply Program, and develop new products and services;
- Enable us or our partners to offer you discounts on a Mill Membership;
- Send you technical notices, security alerts, support messages, and other transactional or relationship messages;
- Personalize your experience on our Services, including by providing content or information we think you may be interested in;
- Provide and administer our referral program;
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with our Services, including to inform legislative advocacy we believe aligns with our mission;
- Communicate with you about products, services, and events offered by Mill and others and provide news and information that we think will interest you (see the Your Choices section below for information about how to opt out of marketing communications at any time);
- Personalize the advertisements you see on third-party platforms and websites (for more information, see the Advertising and Analytics section below);
- Facilitate contests, sweepstakes, and promotions and process and deliver entries and rewards;
- Detect, investigate, and help prevent security incidents and other malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity and help protect the rights and property of Mill and others;
- Comply with our legal, regulatory, contractual, and financial obligations;
- Create de-identified, anonymized, or aggregated information; and
- Carry out any other purpose described to you at the time the information was collected.
DISCLOSING OF INFORMATION
We may disclose personal information in the following circumstances or as otherwise described in this policy:
- We may disclose personal information with vendors, contractors, and consultants that access personal information to perform work for us, such as companies that assist us with web hosting, shipping and delivery, payment processing, fraud prevention, customer service, and marketing and advertising.
- We may disclose personal information if we believe that disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable rule, regulation, law, or legal process, including lawful requests by public authorities.
- We may disclose personal information if we believe that your actions are inconsistent with our user agreements or policies, if we believe that you have violated the law, if necessary for regulatory compliance purposes, or if we believe it is necessary to protect the rights, property, and safety of Mill, our users, the public, or others.
- We may disclose personal information in connection with, or during negotiations concerning, any merger, sale of company assets, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by another company.
- Personal information may be disclosed between and among Mill and our current and future parents, affiliates, and subsidiaries and other companies under common control and ownership.
- We may disclose personal information with your consent or at your direction. For example, if you post a product review or otherwise disclose content through our Services, that review or content may be made available to others as indicated through our Services.
We may also disclose aggregated or de-identified information that cannot reasonably be used to identify you, including disclosing aggregated information about device usage patterns or trends. For instance, we may disclose aggregated or de-identified information to partners, such as municipal, state, corporate, NGO, nonprofit, and community partners, to help these parties understand usage of our Services in their area and the potential environmental impact.
ADVERTISING AND ANALYTICS
You may update and correct certain account information by contacting our support team or updating your account information from the Mill Website or Mill App. If you wish to deactivate your account, please contact our support team, but note that we may retain certain information as required by law or for our legitimate business purposes.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually adjust your browser settings to remove or reject browser cookies. Please note that removing or rejecting cookies could affect the availability and functionality of our Services.
You may opt out of receiving text messages, promotional emails, or other messages from Mill by following the instructions in those communications or by contacting customer support. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional emails, such as those about your account or our ongoing business relations.
Mobile Push Notifications
With your permission, we may send push notifications to your mobile device. You can deactivate these messages at any time by changing the notification settings on your mobile device.